Phase 1: An empirical study of the capture, preservation and measurable use of seizure scent for training purposes
Sunday, August 26, 2012
Variables vs Distractions
This is how I define these two terms in light of testing the viability of the seizure scent.
If I am testing a sample that is on a hydrated cotton square and if I am testing on a six container scent wheel, then the SS sample is in one container and hydrated cotton squares without SS are in the other five. One Sample. 5 Dummies. Variables.
If I am testing a sample that is on a dry gauze pad and if I am testing on a six container scent wheel, then the SS sample is in one container and dry gauze pads without SS are in the other five. One Sample. 5 Dummies. Variables.
If I am testing TWO SS samples on a single scent wheel, then the remaining four containers on the wheel contain unscented sample dummies. Variables.
I might even conduct a test with SS sample in one condition and have the dummies have different conditions. A hydrated SS sample on cotton and dummies of hydrated cotton, dry gauze. But all would be SS sample related. This might be a test to tell if the dog is alerting to SS or to wet cotton, for example.
In my mind, this is testing the scent. This is the job of Phase 1.
When it comes to distractions, I include kibble, toys, anything else that is different from sample in my definition of distractions. In my thinking, teaching the dog to search out the scent from other optional scents is Phase 2: Teaching the Dog to Search and Locate. To Monitor and Locate. But it is separate and apart from testing the scent itself. No less valuable. No less important. But different. Phase 2.
In Phase 2 we are using the scent that we know is viable because we determined its viability in Phase 1.
It's a fine line, I know. And I may be totally off base and misguided in my thinking. Diabetic Alert Dog trainers know that the scent they use is viable. They have even measured it and tested it against their BG monitors.
There is no way to measure seizure scent and there won't be until, as a result of our Phase 1 testing of SS sample, it is used to train several Seizure Alert Dogs that are working successfully.
Phase 1 is the first step up the path.
CAVEAT: Before the testing of live SS begins, the dog must first be taught how to play the "find the scent" game. And, be introduced to the Scent Wheel. During this training process it is assumed that distractions (as defined above) will be used so that the dog understands all the parameters of the game. The criteria of switching from training mode to testing mode should be a) eager enthusiasm for the game; b) being able to find and alert to 3 different scents on the scent wheel; c) clear and consistent alerts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your observations.