Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Creating 2nd Generation Sample via Hydration






Creation of HP/HC  (Scott Smith, K9 Service Dogs of Virginia)
  1. The scent sample is placed in 3 oz of distilled water, shaken and left for 15 min
  2. The distilled water is then sprayed onto new gauze (or cotton) pads which will be double bagged and frozen.
  3. The original sample may then be removed from the distilled water and used for training. 
    1. Excess liquid may be extracted from the HP by placing wet sample between 2 spoons and pressing
    2. Reserve the excess water
Re: the spritzer used for creating HC

I've been making samples once a month. I buy a cheap spray bottle and run it though the dishwasher twice with no soap. Then I rinse the inside of the bottle with distilled water a couple of times, put the top on and spray a few times. After I've made the samples, I throw it out.   (SS)

NOTE:  For our testing purposes, we hydrated using 2 oz of distilled water instead of 3 oz, as Scott suggests.



Scott hydration demo:





 

8 comments:

  1. I can tell you that in my testing the dogs seem to notice a difference
    at the 5/6/7 day mark. The samples I use are kept at room temp once
    thawed.

    I typically will use a scent sample at least 5 training sessions a
    day. It can go up to about twice that sometimes.

    Since I'm working with multiple dogs it's presented any number of ways
    throughout the day. Sometimes in a container, sometimes by hand and
    sometimes hidden on my body.

    When testing scent samples I use dogs who consistently alert when a
    target odor is hidden on someones body. When I see confusion or no
    alerting from an experienced dog, I question the sample, if most of
    the other variables have stayed the same.

    Nothing scientific just notes from the field!
    scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I throw samples out after 30 days. I've seen samples be unproductive after being frozen close to 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott, would you please look at the video above and see what we are doing differently than your method?

      Delete
  3. I do a couple of things differently. I use 2 X 2 gauze pads and I don't extract excess water from the HC. I extract excess water from the HP only, if I'm going to use it.

    Also I don't use samples older than 30 days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you spray the gauze pad until it is dripping wet? Freeze each HC separately?

      Delete
  4. Yes, I spray the HC until completely saturated and bag each separately. Then they all go into a ziplock freezer bag. I should receive some samples tomorrow and will try to film the process for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. When you are hydrating, do you leave the HP in the sprayer bottle?

      Delete
  5. Yes... and I shake it again before making HC's.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your observations.